Sunday, June 26, 2016

Beginning the Transition

April 30, 2016. My life as a student finally ended. After 13 years. It began with "righting a wrong" and completing my Bachelor's degree, twenty years later. I kept going - two Master's degrees, entering a doctoral program. I passed the coursework and the preliminary exam and struggled to gain footing on a dissertation topic. Life happened. It was too much so I took the EdS degree and got out.

It's weird now.

I don't have to worry about papers, or reading ridiculous amounts of books and journal articles about subjects that people with a life don't care about. I look around my house and see sooo many things that have been neglected over the years. Where do I start?

And a good friend who has been power-walking marathons and half-marathons for 15+ years asked me - every time I graduated - if I was ready to tackle a half-marathon. My answer was always, "when I'm finished with school, we'll talk about it."

We had the talk yesterday. And I think I'm ready to make training plans. We're talking about one in Fall 2017. It's going to take that long to get into shape. Grad school is just hell on your body. I began the journey to getting into shape several weeks ago. I think this will be good for me. I need a goal. God knows I don't need another diploma on the wall, so the goal should be something that benefits my body.

I started looking at 5K races this morning. Gotta start somewhere. I'm thinking of trying one next month.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment