So back to my first post, I did indeed sign up for a 5K the next month - the TMH for Life Challenge. The car thermometer posted 82 degrees. I had NO IDEA that the heat index was 90 already. Even though the course was shaded, it was incredibly hot. I thought I would DIE on that last hill before the finish line, but I DID IT! And I finished in under an hour.
I remember grabbing a banana and a bottle of water from the refreshment table and making a beeline for my car. I sat there with the AC cranked up on me for a good 10 minutes before I drove home. I actually took a nap after taking a shower. It completely wiped me out, but it felt good to accomplish something.
Unfortunately, I had a serious family crisis to deal with a few days later...my Mom had a bad fall, with a cardiac event occurring. She was in the hospital, had a defibrillator installed, and seven weeks of physical therapy. The exercise journey was put on hold for a while.
After she was stabilized, able to be back in her own home, I resumed my plans for walking races. I signed up for a 5K in October and have competed in a 5K every month since then. My race bibs are proudly displayed on a bulletin board at the office and I even walked in a race last week while recovering from a cold. I've upped my game and have been training for my first 10K next month.
I now have a date for that half marathon - October 15, 2017. I recall the feeling that 5K was my absolute limit. I now feel like that for the 10K. But I'm putting in the miles and my endurance is getting greater and greater. It feels good.
Until next time -
No comments:
Post a Comment